Cayoosh/Cayuse/Kiyoose again.....

Theresa Kishkan tkishkan at UNISERVE.COM
Thu May 3 16:43:50 UTC 2001

I looked in the provincial government placename data base -- it can be
helpful but wasn't with this. Do you know it?<
http://www.gdbc.gov.bc.ca/bcnames/> Good luck! It sounds like a good excuse
for a roadtrip!

Theresa

>terry glavin wrote:
>>
>> dunno.
>> what do the standard placenames texts say?
>
>I'd forgotten I own a copy of the Akriggs now, but it's still not that
>helpful
>
>"A variant of cayuse, a word widely used to refer to an Indian pony.
>The story goes that one day an Indian from Mt. Currie rode to Lillooet
>on horseback and that his horse dropped dead at what is now Cayoosh
>Creek."
>
>Worth mentioning here that the topography between Mt. Currie and
>Lillooet and the region's climate makes this story believable;
>exhaustion could definitely kill a horse given the terrain.  Sounds like
>a lakeshore ride, though, and not through the pass (today's Hwy 99).
>But still no hint on the etymology or original language for "cayuse".
>
>The Akriggs give some novel spellings for Lillooet as recorded in
>reference to the Lillooet people:  Lilowit and Littlewhite.....
>MC

Theresa Kishkan
RR1 Site 20 C11
Madeira Park, B.C.
V0N 2H0
(604)883-2377
Red Laredo Boots (1996); Sisters of Grass (2000); Inishbream (2001)

"What secrets do the hills contain in their suede hollows, what mysteries
are lifted from the stones in the unbearable stillness of morning?"