Cayoosh/Cayuse/Kiyoose again.....

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu May 3 17:00:58 UTC 2001

"Alan H. Hartley" wrote:

> Lyle Campbell in _Hist. Linguistics_, 1999, p. 78, derives CAYUSE from
> Sp. caballos 'horses', perhaps via CJ.

This is again similar to someone else's theory a while back that
"kiuatan" comes from the same source; how this works in terms of
"linguistic mechanics" I don't know; consonant shifts etc.  I can see a
certain way of saying "caballos" where the 'b' is, whatchacallit, not
quite "closed" (reflexive?  nah- what's the term?); so "ca(v)ayos" does
kinda seem to work.

Does Campbell or the OED give a listing of the first use in print of
this term?

MC