Cayoosh/Cayuse/Kiyoose again.....

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu May 3 17:06:20 UTC 2001

Theresa Kishkan wrote:

> I looked in the provincial government placename data base -- it can be
> helpful but wasn't with this. Do you know it?<
> http://www.gdbc.gov.bc.ca/bcnames/> Good luck! It sounds like a good excuse
> for a roadtrip!

As if anyone in Lillooet will talk and/or knows anything about it.  It's
unfortuantely a pretty tight-lipped place lately, even moreso with the
increased political polarity of late; it used to be the redneck element
that displaced the "old" white settler-descendants population was very
hostile to anything related to tourism, including Lillooet's
distinguished historical legacy; tourism promos for the area didn't even
talk about the area's scenic wonders except in very general terms, and
were more directed at ATVing, 4x4ing, 4xhunting and all the other "real
men" machine-sports; they've changed their tune somewhat since the mill
shut down near-permanently; now it's the Natives who are hostile to
tourism and white history; the name change of the Cayuse Creek Band to
Kiy-oose Band is indicative of the "purging" of local history by the
national governments of the region; even though Kiy-oose isn't even a
St'at'imc word (although maybe it has become one; I don't have a
St'at'imcets lexicon handy).

As Lisa knows, however, anyone who'd like an insider's tour of the
Canyon and Bridge River-Lillooet is more than welcome to get hold of me
and cruise up that way.....

Mike