Fwd: A. Grant re drum

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Sat May 12 02:11:16 UTC 2001

[There was some difficulty in the posting of this message, so I'm forwarding it to be sure it reaches the list. -- Dave]

Tlaxauya!

Regarding 'drum', the form /pumpum/ is given, if I remember aright, in Henry
Zenk's glossary of Grand Ronde CJ, published in the preprints of the
International Conference on Salish and Neighbouring Languages un the early
1990s.  The form /pampam ~ pompom/ seemed to be known as a Jargon word to at
least Native people around Lincoln and Coos Countiues in Oregon, since
Morris Swadesh used it as an elicitation prompt when trying to get the
Siuslaw word for 'drum' from the late Clayton Barret in his Penutian
Vocabulary Survey of 1953.  I suspect it's good CJ but that its attesttaions
are slender.

Haias masi

Anthony Grant
Bradford, UK