Fwd: [Native-American-Advocate] Oklahoma Indian Languages Need Your Help

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sun May 13 05:10:42 UTC 2001

>Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 16:30:49 -0500
>From: Sacred Heart <sacred.heart at mindspring.com>
>Subject: [Native-American-Advocate] Oklahoma Indian Languages Need Your Help
>To: NAA <Native-American-Advocate at yahoogroups.com>
>Cc: IHSS <INDIAN-HEART-SOUL-SPIRIT at yahoogroups.com>
>  sentto-1802866-3067-989703100-coyotez=oregon.uoregon.edu at returns.onelist.com

>Dear friends of Indian languages,
>
>Oklahoma Indian languages need your help!
>
>A resolution is approaching a vote in the state legislature, which can help
>protect Indian languages, and will put the state on record as supporting
>their survival.  The resolution (with the working title of Oklahoma Indian
>Language Heritage Protection Act) was developed at the Intertribal Wordpath
>Society, a nonprofit organization promoting the teaching, awareness, use, and
>status of Oklahoma Indian languages.  We first introduced it  last year, but
>it never made it to a vote.  This year we have the firm support of  Senators
>Ted Fisher and Cal Hobson, and Representatives Opio Toure, Kenneth Corn, and
>Bill Nations.  It will be introduced soon, probably next week, beginning in
>the Senate.  We have requested it be brought to a vote on Wednesday, May 16,
>but there is no guarantee of a specific date, since we are in the last 3
>weeks of the legislative session.  (Note:  the Senate and the House may vote
>on different days.).  PLEASE CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND SENATOR
>IMMEDIATELY.  Contact information is at:
>
>      <http://www.lsb.state.ok.us/>http://www.lsb.state.ok.us/
>
>I've attached a copy of the resolution in WordPad format.  Please have a look
>at it.  To my knowledge, no other state has passed anything like this.  It
>will be a good statement for our government to make; and it may help, when it
>comes to getting languages taught in the schools, and in many other ways.
>
>LeRoy Sealy and I visited the sponsors at the Capitol Wednesday.  We feel
>this has a good chance of passing.  But we're asking all of you to phone,
>e-mail, and/or visit your Representatives and Senators, ASAP.  We're told
>they will not get copies of the measure in advance (except the few we have
>already visited).  The clerk will read the resolution aloud, and it will
>probably be voted on by acclamation.  Please contact your legislators
>Monday!!  Explain why the measure is important to you, educate them, and
>prepare them to vote affirmatively.  The process is important: even those who
>may choose to vote against (if any) need to know that support for Indian
>languages is deep and wide.  Ask them to notify you of the date of the vote
>as soon as it is definite.  Remember:  lots of phone calls may help ensure
>that this measure actually gets onto the agenda before the session ends.
>
>Please forward this letter and the resolution to all your friends, relevant
>lists, organizations, etc., all over Oklahoma.  Please forward to tribes you
> [...]

David Gene Lewis                        Department of Anthropology
Graduate student                        University of Oregon
         cell 541-510-0217                               Eugene, OR 97403

coyotez at oregon.uoregon.edu                      talapus at kalapuya.com
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez           http://www.kalapuya.com

Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde,  Kalapuya Tribe