Fwd: "The global cost of language murder"

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Mon May 14 14:20:36 UTC 2001

>Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 05:57:40 -1000
>From: Leilani Akwai <islandgyrl at hawaii.rr.com>
>Subject: "The global cost of language murder"
>Sender: owner-kanakamaoliallies-l at hawaii.edu
>To: KMA list <kanakamaoliallies-l at hawaii.edu>
>
>[From the London-based "Guardian Weekly" newspaper, issue
>of March 22-28, 2001; special section: "Learning English",
>page LE-3:]
>
>- Biodiversity cannot be protected unless language genocide
>   is halted, argues *Tove Skutnabb-Kangas*
>
>- MURDER THAT IS A THREAT TO SURVIVAL
>
>- Global English debate
>
>Habitat destruction through logging, the spread of agricul-
>ture and use of pesticides, and the economic and political
>vulnerability of the people who live in the world's most
>diverse ecoregions are recognised as the main causes of the
>disappearance of biodiversity. What is less widely under-
>stood is the link between diminishing global biodiversity
>and the disappearance of languages.
>
>While new trees can be planted and habitats restored, it
>is much more difficult to restore languages once they have
>been murdered. And languages are being murdered today
>faster than ever before in human history. Even the most
>optimistic prognoses claim that only half of today's 6,000-
>7,000 spoken languages will exist by 2100. The media and
>educational systems are the most important direct agents in
>language murder today.
>
>Most of the world's languages are spoken by relatively few
>people; the median number of speakers of a language is
>probably 5,000-6,000. There are fewer than 300 languages
>with more than 1 million native users; half of all
>languages have fewer than 10,000 users, and a quarter of
>the world's spoken languages and most of the sign languages
>have fewer than 1,000 users. More than 80% of the world's
>languages exist in one country only.
>
>A simple comparison, based on numbers and extinction rates,
>shows that linguistic diversity (LD) is disappearing
>relatively much faster than biodiversity (BD). Optimistic
>estimates claim that 2% of biological species but 50% of
>languages may be dead or moribund -- no longer learned by
>children -- in 100 years' time. According to pessimistic
>but realistic estimates, 20% of biological species but 90%
>of languages may be dead or moribund in 100 years.
>
>People might say, so what? It might be better for world
>peace if we all speak a few big languages and understand
>each other. But language diversity is decisive for the
>future of the planet. LD and BD are correlated: where one
>type is high, the other one is too, and vice versa, even
>if there are exceptions. David Harmon of Terralingua, an
>international non-profit organisation devoted to preserving
>the world's linguistic diversity, has compared the 25
>countries that have the most endemic languages with the 25
>that have the most higher vertebrates. Sixteen countries
>(64%) are on both lists. According to Harmon, "it is very
> [...]

David Gene Lewis                        Department of Anthropology
Graduate student                        University of Oregon
         cell 541-510-0217                               Eugene, OR 97403

coyotez at oregon.uoregon.edu                      talapus at kalapuya.com
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez           http://www.kalapuya.com

Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde,  Kalapuya Tribe