Mahsie

Nadja Adolf yakimabelle at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 1 14:14:38 UTC 2002

> It's free (just your paper and ink.)
>
> Melville Jacobs' "Texts in Chinook Jargon" includes
> several stories by Victoria Howard, described as a
> "Clackamas Upper Chinook,"  and John Hudson, a
> "Santiam Kalapuya," recorded in the early 1930s, and
> can be viewed on-line.  I think these closely
> resemble GR usage of that era, though I am given to
> understand Ms. Howard's speech was unusually
> elaborate and bears more hints of "Old Chinook."
> See

Mahsie. Naika munk kwolan kahkwa.
(I heard the same thing.)

Huloima tillikum yakwa wawa kahkwa naika tillikum.
(Other people there like talk like my family.)

> A photocopy of this (made from the bound journal)
> has been floating around the group for some time,
> but the copy I received is unreadably distorted in
> the Jargon half on a couple pages, and I heard
> someone's was too, so I image the common source of
> these copies bears the same defect.  However, the
> images on the Web site (apparently scanned from
> microfilm) are fine.

Anah. Halo nayka nannich uk.
(OK. I didn't see that.)

> Note these are page images set into frames with a
> navigation bar on the left.  (So, Nadja, you might
> have to "borrow" a Windows computer to see it.)
> Click on the right frame (on the page image), then
> pull down "print" and print the images (one at a
> time) from your browser.

Mahsie. Linux yaka munk tzum uk.

(Thanks. Linux displays that.)

> If the UW has maintained the copyright on this pub,
> it hasn't yet fallen into public domain.  However,
> there should be no problem printing copies off their
> Web site for personal use.

Mahsie.

> As far as I know, Jim's book manuscript is the only
> publicly available resource incorporating current GR
> usage.  He's kept with the Roman alphabet but has
> done a beautiful job of constructing an accurate
> orthography which is layman-readable. It's in Adobe
> Acrobat .pdf format; you can view it with the free
> downloadable Acrobat Reader.  See
> http://adisoft-inc.com/chinookbook/  However, he's
> renamed some of the files since the links on that
> page were set up (he's still working on the book),
> so go to
> http://www.adisoft-inc.com/chinookbook/PDFs/ and
> view the raw directory.  You can download the files
> (broken into chapters) from there.  (Some HP inkjet
> printer drivers have trouble with Acrobat's output;
> try a few pages first, and if it comes out with
> chunks missing, fiddle with Acrobat's print
> settings--"print as image" or some such will
> probably do it.)  He's put a lot of work into this;
> buy the book when it gets into print.  (Hey--admire
> my maps in there, too.)

Mahsie.

> A couple of papers are accessible via my site (at
> Canadiana.org) besides the dictionaries, including
> Myron Eells' "The Chinook Jargon" (The American
> Anthropologist, Vol. VII (July 1894), 300-312).  See
> http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/dictnote.htm
> The Canadiana images are single page microfilm scans
> presented individually; while they can be browsed
> conveniently on-line, they must be printed one at a
> time.  Tip: Right click on the image, select "view
> image" and you'll get the bare image for a tidier
> printout.  Experiment with their Web page's
> page-size gizmos until you find one which will fill
> a page on your printer nicely.

Mahsie.

> I do have "El Comancho" Phillips' 1913 "Chinook
> Book" on my site in HTML (in several sections),
> which load quickly and can easily be printed.  His
> orthography is crude but it his colorful writing is
> fun to read, and seems to be more original than most
> dictionaries of that era. (It appears to be based
> mostly on his personal fluency in communicating
> frequently with local Natives, albeit with reference
> to the common works).  He was a northern
> Washingtonian, though, so that of course is some
> ways from the GR.

Naika iskum lamah Shaw pi Thomas pi Pasco. Klonas
naika mitlite "El Comancho" - halo kahlakl konaway
lacaset iskum book klak papa yaka book-haus. Naika
klap tumtum papa yaka memaloose kunsih hahlakl ikt
lacaset pi tumtum yaka chako sick.

(I have in hand Shaw and Thomas and Pasco. I may have
"El Camancho - I haven't opened every box with books
out of my father's library. I remember my father is
dead when I open a box and get sad.)

> (This hasn't been double-proofed yet, so if any of
> you have some time to kill, let me know.) (Same for
> my online version of the NW excerpts of Swanton.)
> (I regrettably haven't had a chance to start on
> Demers yet.)

Mahsie.

> More is available by mail order:
>
> Henry Zenk's landmark 1984 paper, Chinook Jargon And
> Native Cultural Persistence In The Grand Ronde
> Indian Community, 1856-1907: A Special Case Of
> Creolization (Sociolinguistics, Ethnography Of
> Speaking). Zenk, Henry Benjamin, Phd. (University Of
> Oregon, 1984. 329 pp.),can be ordered from
> University Microform International for about
> $30--not much more expensive and far more convenient
> than making your own copy from a borrowed one (and I
> think he gets a small, well-deserved royalty). Go
> here, select your order method, and then search on
> "Zenk" (his is part-way down a short page):
> http://wwwlib.umi.com/dxweb/neworder

Naika mitlite uk book.

(I have that book.)

> Of course, Duane Pasco's tutorial book and tape
> remain available for a very reasonable price.  It's
> well-researched, drawn from a number of sources, and
> reflects his personal knowledge of the more northern
> Northwest's usage.  See
> http://tenaswawa.home.attbi.com/bookstore.htm

Nawitka. Pasco yaka wawa wa kahkwa naika naha pi yaka
munk latlah tenas huloima. Yaka wawa "KL" pi naika
naha yaka ahnkuttie wawa kahkwa "tLLLLL"

(Uhyup. Pasco uses the same words as my mom but
pronounces them a bit differently. He says "KL" and my
mother used to saylike "tLLLLL." )

> Regards,
>
> Jeff
> "Jargon Liberation Front"

Halo elite wawa,

Nadja

PS - Is it true the pass word for Saturday is "Baa Baa
Klale Lemoto?"