Phoneme question - Barred L

Nadja Adolf yakimabelle at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 1 14:45:11 UTC 2002

At the beginning of the word "Lush", the sound written
as a "barred-L" and sometimes written as a "Kl" - have
you ever heard it said more as a soft-t L?

What I remember hearing around me as a kid - my Mom
and Dad hiding the Christmas presents, and the
occasional other usage was more like bending the
tongue, a little bit of the tip -  on the ridge behind
the front teeth,  and making a "L" sound. Sometimes in
a fast string of words it would be like a flap of the
tongue on that ridge. Not touching the teeth - or at
least not when I try and imitate it.

Not a "K" but a kind of soft "t." The "whirring sound"
is made forward in the mouth, not back like with a
"kl."

Has anyone else heard of this?