click

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Feb 3 12:33:20 UTC 2002

"Alan H. Hartley" wrote:

> In a version of 1846 W. STURGIS' Northwest Fur Trade in B. C. Busch & B.
> M. Gough eds. Fur Traders from New England (1997) 96, referring to 1804:
>
> "the first question was, if he had "clicks," (the Indian name for the
> ermine skin) for sale"
>
> I assume that's a Jargon word. Can anyone confirm?

Don't recognize it, and I can't say I recall there being any word for
ermine in the Jargon bestiary - or marten, mink, fisher, weasel or
anything similar other than nenamuks (otter, perhaps sea otter) or
inamuks (other otter-like creatures, perhaps the mountain
beaver/boomer?).

What area was this word cited from?  Seems like it'd be in the local
lingo, whatever that was....

MC