"Tenas Wawa" and "Introduction to the Jargon/Jeff's Jargon Pages)" have Moved

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Sun Feb 3 13:31:34 UTC 2002

Klahowya to my cyberspace-Wawa sikhs!

I have moved the site(s) from Geocities to home.attbi.com.  These
notes are from the Feb '02 entry on the "What's New" page, and pretty
well explain the new arrangement.  The sites remain intact, look
about the same, and contain all the material they had before, but I
took the opportunity of improving its organization somewhat while
moving it to a new host. Further below you will find my instructions
to linking Webmasters which I will need to distribute by email when I
get the time to track down all of the two or three dozen sites which
currently link into mine.

Duane Pasco's "Tenas Wawa" newsletter has been moved to
tenaswawa.home.attbi.com (brown-background pages with the TW
masthead), and my (Jeffrey Kopp's) Introduction to the Chinook Jargon
to chinookjargon.home.attbi.com (white background with totem logo). I
still maintain both sites, and they remain closely interlinked.
However, dividing the site in this fashion will permit easier
management of Web space allotments, allow for better organized
expansion in the future, and reduce some confusion regarding personal
identity which has arisen occasionally.

[Duane also now has a personal Web page featuring his carving and
other artwork at http://www.duanepasco.com ]

Restored streaming audio (RealAudio metafile pseudo-stream) which had
been disabled by changes in Geocities' server protocol. Added MP3
versions of Duane's Jargon recordings alongside RealAudio. Fixed
glitches in LeJeune dictionary navigation. Moving the site also
permitted sectioning Phillips' and Shaw's main vocabularies for
quicker loading (some server-imposed counter scripting by Geocities
had frustrated the alphabet-button navigation scheme I had devised
for those segments).

The site was built in stages over four years on Geocities as I taught
myself HTML, how to scan and edit images, and learned a little
JavaScript. While the site is basically completed and I intend to
retain its general layout and appearance, it has gotten more than a
bit shaggy underneath, and an overhaul of site in stages is planned
in order to improve its presentation, formatting and reliability and
to better reflect my current level of Web skill.

[The site didn't even have colors for the first six months; I
actually began with a monochrome monitor and a Microtek 300G
greyscale scanner, both secondhand, running Windows 3.1 on a castoff
16MB 486DX33 with a 540MB WD HD. A friend donated a color VGA and I
found a Microtek 600Z three-pass scanner lacking its interface card,
with which fortunately the 300G's PCY card worked, and the site
emerged into "living color" (brown backgrounds and a few color
graphics) on January 25, 1998.  Ah, those were the days.  I am just
now building an AMD Duron 950mHz system from parts found on sale to
run Windows 2000 effectively and replace the trusty Pentium 233 MMX
which has seen me through the past three years.]

Additional material may appear as time permits. I would like to
rescan LeJeune's 1924 Chinook Rudiments so I can present it in a
larger size for improved readability (as today's computers run bigger
screens than they did when the site was built). More material remains
available in back issues of the "Tenas Wawa" newsletters.
Contribution of original or public-domain sound recordings in Jargon,
printed material now in public domain and original academic papers
are invited.

[P.S. Does anybody have a clean photocopy of Demers they can share
with me?  The scanned microfiche which can be viewed on/downloaded
from Canadiana.org is too poor to OCR; having a photocopy of the book
would save me retyping it or having to go to the library downtown to
stand over their coin-op copier for an hour.]

Regards,

Jeff

(Instructions for linking Webmasters--or a bit of fun trying to get
cyberspace organized:)

Dear Webmaster:

The "Tenas Wawa" and my "Introduction to the Chinook Jargon" sites
have been relocated from Geocities to home.attbi.com, and also
reorganized.  Separate domain-level URLs are now established for
Duane Pasco's "Tenas Wawa" newsletter and my "Introduction to the
Jargon" section. I remain webmaster for both sites.

You may wish to update your link(s).  Over the past four years the
site has shifted around a bit internally, and links from other sites
still exist to a number of various internal points (both formerly and
recently obsoleted).  I have left stub pages up at the known linked
entry points at Geocities which auto-redirect to the corresponding
new pages.  All links to the site with a tilde (~) in the URL no
longer work, however (and I therefore cannot redirect them) as
Geocities discontinued this feature of their address scheme a year
ago, and a "404 not found" is returned to all links containing a
tilde.

I am including here all the existing links into the site that I know
of (i.e., that I can find in Google),  alongside their new
equivalents:

Tenas Wawa home www.geocities.com/tenaswawa
  and Tenas Wawa home (with tilde) www.geocities.com/~tenaswawa
  and Tenas Wawa Home (Geocities "neighborhood" url)
www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6460
  and Tenas Wawa home (once long ago)
www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6460/twhome.htm
  and Tenas Wawa home (once very long ago)
www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6460/twindex.htm
    --> is now http://tenaswawa.home.attbi.com <--

Intro to Jargon ("Jeff's Jargon Pages") home
www.geocities.com/tenaswawa/jargintr.htm
  and Intro to Jargon home (with tilde)
www.geocities.com/~tenaswawa/jargintr.htm
  and Intro to Jargon home (Geocities "neighborhood" url)
www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6460/jargintr.htm
     --> is now http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com <--

Shaw's Dictionary www.geocities.com/tenaswawa/shaw.htm
   and Shaw's Dictionary  (with tilde)
www.geocities.com/~tenaswawa/shaw.htm
   and Shaw's Dictionary (Geocities "neighborhood" url)
www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6460/shaw.htm
     --> is now http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/shaw.htm <--
     --> Please note the preferred entry point to all dictionaries is
http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/dictnote.htm <--

Shaw's Combined Vocabulary www.geocities.com/tenaswawa/shawvoca.htm
    and Shaw's Combined Vocabulary (with tilde)
www.geocities.com/~tenaswawa/shawvoca.htm
    and Shaw's Combined Vocabulary (Geocities "neighborhood" url)
www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6460/shawvoca.htm
   --> is now http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/shawcombvoc.htm <--

(Some links also exist to pages within Shaw at shawintro.htm,
shawengchin.htm, and shawtoc.htm; if you must link directly to a
simple Jargon vocabulary page, please update your link to Shaw's
Combined Vocabulary at
http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/shawcombvoc.htm . This link is
now arranged so it lands on the Combined Vocabulary page within
Shaw's complete dictionary with a navigation bar, so the rest of the
dictionary  is easily accessible from there.)

     --> Please note, however,  the preferred entry point to all
dictionaries is http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/dictnote.htm <--

Gibbs' Dictionary www.geocities.com/tenaswawa/gibbs.htm
   and Gibbs' Dictionary  (with tilde)
www.geocities.com/~tenaswawa/gibbs.htm
   and Gibbs' Dictionary (Geocities "neighborhood" url)
www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6460/gibbs.htm
     --> is now http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/gibbs.htm <--

     --> Please note the preferred entry point to all dictionaries is
http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/dictnote.htm <--

Chinook Jargon bibliography  www.geocities.com/tenaswawa/bib.htm
   and Chinook Jargon bibliography  (with tilde)
www.geocities.com/~tenaswawa/bib.htm
   and Chinook Jargon bibliography  (Geocities "neighborhood" url)
www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6460/bib.htm
     --> is now http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/bib.htm  <--

     --> Please note the preferred entry point for the Intro to the
Jargon site is the front page at http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com
<--

Hyas mahsie (thank you) for your interest in and support of the
Chinook Jargon!

Regards,

Jeffrey Kopp