Talapus 'Coyote'

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Tue Feb 5 18:51:20 UTC 2002

Sapir writes for Wishram:

[gayu'ya isk!u'lya] lit. 'he went Coyote'

"i- = masc. noun prefix with which -y- in gayu'ya is in agreement.
-sk!u'lya = noun stem COYOTE, apparently not capable of analysis;
perhaps loan-word from Klikitat spi'lya.  Chinook has another stem,
-t!a'lapas."  Sapir 1911.

qo'c (later),

phil cash cash
cayuse/nez perce