[humm]

pasxapu pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Tue Jun 11 20:28:42 UTC 2002

In Tsimshian (Sm'algyax) English, an idiomatic expression is documented
in the use of 'hum' (Mulder 1982), a borrowing from Chinook Jargon.
[hum] "any decided odor either good or bad, but more commonly used to
mean a stench or 'bad stink'" (Mulder 1982:107).  Mulder states that
Tsimshian (Sm'algyax) English uses [hum] as a verb to refer to the act
of 'going to the bathroom' rather than referring to the manner of
singing with the lips.  I take this to mean that Tsimshian (Sm'algyax)
English used a mix of English, CJ, and Sm'algyax words.

Its broader use is found in [humm opoots] or literally 'stinks-his tail'
or Skunk (see Thomas dict.).

My own childhood experience confirms the Tsimshian (Sm'algyax) English
interpretation.  As long as I can remember, we kids (that is, those of
us on the Umatilla reservation) often used this CJ idiom to refer to the
act of 'going to the bathroom'.  For example, one time, I was assisting
a old, Indian blind man to the bathroom and he said, "I want to take a
hum!" meaning he wanted to use the urinal.  At times, it can by
extension even refer to the.(ahem) male genitalia.

I suppose this may be offensive to some, but I should not have to make
apologies for the diversity and genius of language and language use.
Anyway, it is of interest to this list since it is a documented CJ idiom
rather than a simple CJ expression that apparently had or continues to
have wide usage.

Oh, and yes, I almost forgot.  I believe [chuk] or [chak] 'water' is a
borrowed CJ term in Yakama (Sahaptin) and means essentially the same as
in [chaaksha] 'I am urinating'.

wext,
Phil Cash Cash (cayuse/nez perce)

Reference

Mulder, Jean.
1982.  The Tsimshian English Dialect: the Result of Language
Interference.  In "Essays in Native American English" (ed.) Guillermo
Bartlet, Susan Penfield Jasper, and Bates Hoffer.  Trinity University.