Fwd: Re: Nuxalk

Ros' Liland Brajant lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 12 00:55:50 UTC 2002

Liland Brajant Ros'/204 N 39th/Seattle WA 98103/Usono
lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / tel 206-633-2434
TTT-Himnaro Cigneta : http://www.geocities.com/cigneto/pretaj.html
Nove en La Lilandejo : http://www.geocities.com/lilandr/novaj.html

>From: Mike Cleven <ironmtn at bigfoot.com>
>
>>From: "Thomas R. Speer" <trspeer at yahoo.com>
>>
>>"Noo" as in Moon
>>"x" as in the "ch" in the name of the composer Bach
>>"a" as in Father
>>
>>The emphasis is placed on the second syllable "xalk".
>
>That I hadn't heard, but it's not a name that turns up in the media
>often; I suppose that's correct _in_ Nuxalk.  Alan had asked for how
>it
>was pronounced in (presumably local) English, which AFAIK places the
>accent on the first syllable; anytime I've heard it anyway.
>--
>Mike Cleven
>http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)
>http://www.hiyu.net (Chinook Jargon phrasebook/history)

The only thing I haven't seen addressed yet is the "L": what is it like
*in* Nuxalk -- NW Coast languages often have a superabundance of "L" and
"lambda" variants (e.g. glottalized, devoiced, etc.) -- and (for Alan's
purposes) in local English is it a "dark" L as in "fall" or a "clear" L as
in "fa-la-la-la-la" -- in English certainly dark L would be expected -- and
does it tend to be elided along the lines of the "talk, walk" analogy? If
it's a clear L (and if BC English is as much like WA English as I think it
is) then it will be realized in a form that rhymes better with "pollock"
than with "pock".

lilEnd