Fwd: Re: Nuxalk

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Tue Jun 11 04:24:37 UTC 2002

Thomas R. Speer wrote:
> Note: forwarded message attached.

> http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

> Re: Nuxalk
> From:
> "Thomas R. Speer" <trspeer at yahoo.com>
> Date:
> Sun, 9 Jun 2002 19:26:25 -0700 (PDT)
> To:
> "Alan H. Hartley" <ahartley at D.UMN.EDU>
>

> Dear Alan Hartley,
>
> "Noo" as in Moon
> "x" as in the "ch" in the name of the composer Bach
> "a" as in Father
>
> The emphasis is placed on the second syllable "xalk".

That I hadn't heard, but it's not a name that turns up in the media
often; I suppose that's correct _in_ Nuxalk.  Alan had asked for how it
was pronounced in (presumably local) English, which AFAIK places the
accent on the first syllable; anytime I've heard it anyway.

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)