Fwd: Kokanee (from R. Clark)

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Tue Jun 18 15:43:09 UTC 2002

Subject:    kokanee
  Date:    Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:03:39 +1200
  From:    "Ross Clark (FOA DALSL)" <r.clark at auckland.ac.nz>
  To:    "'David D. Robertson'" <ddr11 at columbia.edu>
 « Previous  |  Next »

Dave: I posted this yesterday and got two replies immediately. One said
"your post has been submitted...etc" and the other said "unable to send,
mailbox full". It doesn't seem to have appeared, so I'm re-sending it.
Ross

A Concise Dictionary of Canadianisms (Avis et al. 1973) gives "Interior
Salish kikinee" for the etymology. The form "kokanee" is attested from 1937.
"Kickininee" is given as an alternative form -- "also spelled kickaninny" --
and their IPA transcription further confirms your suspicion as to the
pronunciation. The only early citation for this is dated 1875(1953), from
Okanagan Hist.Soc.Rep.17, presumably somebody's publication of an old letter
or journal, in which the actual spelling is "kik-e-ninnies"!

Ross Clark