"ikta kata" in _Kamloops Wawa_

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Sep 19 05:23:16 UTC 2002

Jim,

Aias mirsi pus maika cim.  Yes indeed, Grand Ronde /ikta qhata/ means
specifically "is anything the matter?" or "what's the matter?"  (Thanks
also to an anonymous correspondent who wished to reinforce that point.)  I
mean to say that the _Kamloops Wawa_ form <ikta kata> might have a similar
sense, but not necessarily an identical one; it's hard to know, as I've
never yet found another occurrence of it.

The similar meaning that I've guessed at is "what's going on", based on the
knowledge that reading a good deal of K.W. has given me:  <ikta> can
mean "what?" or "something" or "anything", and <kata> can mean "how?"
or "how it is with someone/something" or "any way".  A fascinating point is
that perhaps K.W. and Grand Ronde Jargon independently created idiomatic
phrases using these two words in the same order, but with different
meanings.  Compare British English "knock up" with the meaning in American
English of the same phrase!

A very literal gloss of the relevant clause from K.W. might be "no-how we-
more-know what how at-outside".  Now, I've connected with hyphens the
elements that I feel sure work together to form constituents of the clause;
for example, "no-how" (<wik kata>) is a construction I'm familiar with from
its numerous appearances in K.W., and "we-more-know" (<nsaika wiht
komtaks>) is clearly a verbal complex.  This is a pretty good way to tackle
a Jargon sentence that's not clear to you at first blush.  What's left
unparsed after this start is the two words we're discussing here, and it
seems most likely that <ikta kata> here is the direct object of the verbal
complex.  If so, we've got to figure out a plausible meaning for it as an
object, taking the context into account.

The background of the sentence I quoted is a narrative, about 4 years after
the fact, of a French Catholic bishop's experience under siege in the Boxer
Rebellion in Peking, China.  I assume the narrative was translated into
Jargon by the editor of K.W., Father Le Jeune.

Based on the preceding, I read the K.W. <ikta kata> as "what's
happening", "anything being any way".  No implication of a problem, though
horrible problems were happening outside the bishop's besieged house.

--Dave