JB Good's CJ/Thompson Salish dictionary

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Dec 5 03:50:23 UTC 2003

Okay, I know I've been a little caught up in school stuff.  Just taking a
break today, I surfed via Jeff Kopp's link to a book I haven't looked at
in a while, JB Good's CJ/Thompson Salish/English dictionary.  (Circa
1880?)  It's an excellent document of the Jargon that was used in that
part of Interior BC around then, and also shows the heavy influence
Chinook already had had on Thompson...and vice versa.

Some fascinating bits:

Embrace = sugar wawa  (sugar talk)
Coyote = masachi kamuks  (bad dog)
Faded = mash yaka tsum  (discard its color/markings)
Flesh = smeet  (from Thompson)

Very good stuff.  This book would be useful to the student of Kamloops
Wawa CJ, where you'll also find a number of Salish borrowings, local
Jargon coinages, and English words.

--Dave R.