Sign component in Jargon

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Thu Dec 11 00:00:33 UTC 2003

> naika SAIN iaka pus chako pi iaka chako,
> pi nsaika patlach ukuk kan ship kopa iaka.

> I TOLD HIM IN SIGN LANGUAGE to come and he came,
> and we gave that can of ?chips to him.

When I first read the Jargon (taking care not to look at the translation), I
took the first sentence to mean:  'I signed to him to come and he came'.
Couldn't that just as well be a reference to the universal "language" of
gesturing--extending one's hand and motioning for some one to come over?  Do
you have any other indications of this word being used by LeJeune with
reference to an actual sign LANGUAGE?  Henry