Sign component in Jargon

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Dec 11 00:33:22 UTC 2003

Lest I be accused of shallow research techniques, herewith two juicy finds
from WorldCat.  It may be hard to get #3 when I request it -- note that
only one insitution holds it.  Maybe I'll be able to track down whether
that Kamloops Wawa /kan/ held chips or sheep.

If you do any searching via Google you'll find lots of hits that tell the
colorful story of tinned food, the British Navy, the murder of a child,
and UK slang meaning "nothing at all."  (Hint: look for "sweet FA"
or "sweet Fanny Adams.")  Part of this story is also told in one of the
most entertaining books I own, "British Self-Taught:  with comments in
American," by Schur.

--Dave R.

  1.  Historic tinned foods.

Publication: Greenford, Middlesex, Eng. : International Tin Research and
Development Council, 1939
Document: English : Book
Libraries Worldwide: 38
More Like This: Advanced options ...
 See more details for locating this item

3.  Tinned food, with advice and recipes for its treatment :
being John Moir & Son's (Limited) export catalogue /