Sign component in Jargon

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Dec 11 00:40:39 UTC 2003

Nope!  I might have put it unclearly earlier today, when I tried to say
it's indeterminate whether a sign language was used, or just the first
gestures that came into the writer's head.  And this is the first & only
example of the word /sain/ or synonyms that I've found in KW.  (Just 1,000
pages to go!)

Anyone with a good knowledge of Kamloops-area historical sources should
please come forth now...

--Dave R.

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:00:33 -0800, hzenk at PDX.EDU wrote:

>> naika SAIN iaka pus chako pi iaka chako,
>> pi nsaika patlach ukuk kan ship kopa iaka.
>
>> I TOLD HIM IN SIGN LANGUAGE to come and he came,
>> and we gave that can of ?chips to him.
>
>When I first read the Jargon (taking care not to look at the
translation), I
>took the first sentence to mean:  'I signed to him to come and he came'.
>Couldn't that just as well be a reference to the universal "language" of
>gesturing--extending one's hand and motioning for some one to come over?
Do