Sign component in Jargon & new address

Ros' Haruo lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 11 07:02:40 UTC 2003

>From: hzenk at PDX.EDU
>Subject: Re: Sign component in Jargon
>Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:00:33 -0800
>
>Couldn't that just as well be a reference to the universal "language" of
>gesturing--extending one's hand and motioning for some one to come over?

Just a note to remind everyone that "universal" should be in quotes here,
too. In English, one typically gestures "come over here" with palm up. In
Japanese, one gestures the same content palm-down, in a way that an English
"reader" will interpret as "Bye-bye", not "Come here".

lilEnd

PS: We have just rented a new apartment, so by the end of the month our
mailing address will be

Mr & Mrs Leland Bryant Ross
2355 Eastlake Ave E #20
Seattle, WA 98102