Another question on the KW text containing SAIN

Bruce, Colin Colin.Bruce at FRASERHEALTH.CA
Fri Dec 12 16:03:42 UTC 2003

I have a question about the use of "pus" of this scentence: "naika SAIN iaka
pus chako pi iaka chako."  Is it right that I've seen pus used as a
conditional/subjunctive marker?  Is it used this way here or is it used as
an infinitive marker.  What I mean is:  can we translate that phrase these
ways?

I signalled him to come...
I signalled would he come...
I signalled him [to see] if he would come...

Now that I see what I've written it looks like overkill (asking too detailed
a question) but jargon seems to have a lot more  subtle nuances than just
simple paraphrases.