Borrowing from CJ

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Nov 14 18:29:13 UTC 2003

Hi, Bernard,

Just a guess about this St'at'imcets word:  could it be from /seme(7)/
or /sama(7)/ 'White people' + /=its'a7/ 'blanket, fabric'?  Then it would
be made of only St'at'imcets parts, no CJ at all.

There are a number of CJ borrowings in St'at'imcets, though.  Many of
these folks were talking good Jargon a hundred years ago (though not all
of them; Bucky and other elders should be able to tell you a bit about
this).  James Alexander Teit, who lived among the nearby Thompsons -- his
wife Antko is buried at Spences Bridge -- wrote in "The Lillooet Indians,"
1906, that

"The Chinook jargon is spoken much better by the Lillooet than by any
other interior tribes."  (page 202)

(This was in the published records of the Jesup North Pacific Expedition,
issued as a Memoir of the American Museum of Natural History, vol. 2 part
5, by EJ Brill of Leiden in the Netherlands.)

Cheers,

--Dave

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:37:32 -0800, Bernard Schulmann - home
<bernard.schulmann at LILLONET.CA> wrote:

>Among St'at'imc
>
>saplin is the word for flour
>
>Another word that we discussed on Wednesday was semits'a which means
>cloth - neither the teacher (Bucky Ned - Pikola) nor the fluent elders
>in the class could point to any St'at'imcets roots of the word.   To me
>it bears a strong resemblance to the french word chemise.   But I have
>not been able to find a Chinook online dictionary that indicates that
>this is a CJ word.
>
>Bernard Schulmann
>Lillooet BC
>
>Automatic digest processor wrote:
>

>>     CHINOOK Digest - 12 Nov 2003 to 13 Nov 2003 (#2003-105)
>>

>>       Table of contents:
>>
>>     * Duwamish Tribe's Longhouse Benefit <#S1>
>>     * Another widespread CJ loan <#S2>
>>
>>     # Duwamish Tribe's Longhouse Benefit
>>           * Duwamish Tribe's Longhouse Benefit
>>             <mailbox:///C%7C/WINDOWS/Application%
20Data/Mozilla/Profiles/bernard.schulmann/0g0d9x4d.slt/Mail/mail.lillonet-
2.ca/Inbox?number=116904082&header=quotebody&part=1.2>
>>             (11/12)
>>             From: "Thomas R. Speer" <trspeer at YAHOO.COM>
>>     # Another widespread CJ loan
>>           * Another widespread CJ loan
>>             <mailbox:///C%7C/WINDOWS/Application%
20Data/Mozilla/Profiles/bernard.schulmann/0g0d9x4d.slt/Mail/mail.lillonet-
2.ca/Inbox?number=116904082&header=quotebody&part=1.3>