CJ song from Ft. Babine, BC.............Re: Father Francois Marie Thomas OMI

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Nov 14 19:13:48 UTC 2003

"Shortly after his arrival in the north, the Indians began to give [Father
Nicolas] Coccola [the Oblate missionary] a tumultuous welcome.  Martin
Starret recalled the first time he witnessed the arrival of Father Coccola
at Fort Babine:

'Indians were shoving cartridges into their magazines to fire a salute.
They must have fired off all of twenty boxes of thirty cartridges to
welcome the priest, and there were answering shots from the boats coming
in, too...just as they were landing the Indians started to sing in
Chinook:  and it seems to me right now that I can sing you that song right
perfectly.  This is the way they sang it.

'Ay, Pell Cola!  Ay mesika papa!
Ay, Pell Cola!  Ay mesika papa!
Mamook Klahowya mika tenas
Mamook klahowya kuna mokst mesika.

'Hi, Pere Coccola, hi our father!  Make greetings your children, make
greetings altogether we.'"

(From page 72 of Whitehead, Margaret, ed.  1988.  "They Call Me Father:
Memoirs of Father Nicolas Coccola."  Vancouver, BC:  UBC Press.)

Fort Babine was also known as Fort Kilmaurs, and was located on Babine
Lake to the north and west of Stuart Lake, BC.  So this was
northern "Carrier" Athabaskan country, in my crude understanding; see the
message below, quoted from a year ago.

The CJ above is interesting.  Granted that it's someone's reminiscence, so
maybe a bit inexact.  That might help explain the use of "Cola" instead
of "Coccola", and the use of "mesika" for "our" and "we" ("nesika" would
be appropriate).  But the given English translation may be as much at
fault, I suggest:  "Hi" for "Ay" may be misleading -- "Ay" might be an
interjection of pleasure, for example, instead of being just a greeting
like the English word.  And the translation of the third and fourth lines
might be better as "greet your children / let's greet each other."

It's worth pointing out that the closest counterpart to "mamook klahowya"
that I can think of in BC Jargon is "mamuk klahawiam" in Kamloops Wawa,
where it means "take pity (on someone)."  But some varieties of CJ made a
distinction between "klahowya" (a greeting) and "klahowyam" (the
adjective "poor, pitiful"), and the variety used in the above song may
have done so.

And if Starret's recollection of the song was accurate, the use
of "mesika" for "we/our" actually parallels some of the distortions in
another sample of Carrier CJ I've seen.  (Again, see the message quoted
below.)  Overall, it's an interesting question whether a consistent and
distinct kind of Jargon was spoken in Carrier country.

--Dave R.

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:11:06 -0400, David D. Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU>
wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 17:50:07 -0700, Theresa Kishkan
<tkishkan at UNISERVE.COM>
>wrote:
>
>>I don't know if this has been mentioned before but Sound Heritage Number
34
>>(1981), Now You Are My Brother: Missionaries in British Columbia, edited
by
>>Margaret Whitehead, has a section on Father Thomas. He preached in
Chinook