Question, info request, Siskiyou

David Lewis coyotez at DARKWING.UOREGON.EDU
Wed Aug 25 22:55:41 UTC 2004

Klahowyah all,
The recent discussion on the origin of the word Siskiyou interests me. I
found a story of the origin of that word in The Pacific County
Historical Journal from Washington State. (I forget the actual name of
the journal and will have to dig out the actual reference as it was
several months ago).  The Journal has an online Index. In two volumes I
found a story a a girl who had gone to California with her parents and
apparently witnessed the creation of the name Siskiyou.  I'll get the
exact story in the next few days for everyone, as the journal is rare in
archives, and in Oregon I only found it in the Oregon State Library.

Also,  Does anyone know of any primary linguistic sources/resources in
archives within the state of Oregon? I am compiling a list for an
article I am writing. I am also interested in any history of these
archives that people may offer.  I have not truly am able to think of
one repository for Oregon and it seems to me that it is the Tribes that
have taken the lead in this, historically and currently.

David Lewis