CJ play about biblical story of Joseph

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Aug 27 01:01:37 UTC 2004

I don't think I've mentioned this before--it doesn't show up in my quick
search of our list archives.  There's a play in Chinook Jargon shorthand,
titled "Shosif pi iaka tilikom" (Joseph and his people), written by Father
Le Jeune.  It's 19 small pages in length.  It introduces such words
as "akt" (act) and "sin" (scene) to Chinuk Wawa.  I found this in the
National Archives of Canada.  If anyone's interested I can post a short
sample.  I wonder if it's a translation from an existing play in French?

--Dave R.