2005 Chinuk-Wawa Lu'lu, Victoria: dates?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Aug 30 03:19:56 UTC 2004

Naika tlus tilikom,

The 2005 Chinuk-Wawa Lu'lu (Chinook Gathering) is to be held here in
Victoria, BC.

As the site coordinator (??), I'd been thinking of scheduling the Lu'lu to
overlap with the Salish conference next August...but it turns out that's
going to be held at Musqueam First Nation in Vancouver instead.

Now that I've thought a little more, that seems just fine.  Another
gathering that definitely is happening in Victoria next summer is the
Stabilizing Indigenous Languages (StIL) conference.  This seems like a
better event to coordinate with, because (A) it's less linguisticky and (B)
way more people will be there.  Plus (C) there'll be a stronger emphasis on
actually using languages like Chinuk-Wawa instead of just researching
them.  And (D) there's a good chance that some of you on this list will be
presenting at StIL.

The Stabilizing Ind Lgs conferences seem to happen in June, so this means
our Chinuk-Wawa Lu'lu would probably happen just before or just
afterwards...early or late June?

I'm soliciting our listmembers' opinions on all this.  Tlus msaika wawa
naika ikta msaika tomtom.

--Dave R.