CJ play about biblical story of Joseph

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Aug 31 18:03:37 UTC 2004

Naika tlus tilikom,

Here is the beginning of "Shosip pi iaka tilikom", the play about Joseph &
his family.

Akt 1
[act 1]

Sin 1
[scene 1]

Shakob + Benshamin + Shosip
[Jacob + Benjamin + Joseph]

Shosip:  O naika papa, naika tiki wawa kopa maika.
[Joseph:  Oh my father, I want to talk to you.]

Shakob:  Tlus maika wawa, naika tanas.
[Jacob:  Speak, my son.]

Shosip:  Maika tanas klaska mamuk iht aias piltin mamuk.  Klaska pli*
kanamokst, pi aias shim ukuk klaska pli*.
[Joseph:  Your sons are doing a very misguided thing.  They are all playing
around, and this playing of theirs is very shameful.]

Shakob:  Kwanisim klaska mamuk sik naika tomtom.  Ukuk ilaitin klutshmin
klaska mama pi kwanisim iaka tsipi klaska mamuk.
[Jacob:  They are always making me sad.  These slave women are (what they
have for) their mothers and their deeds are always wrong.]

Shosip:  Klaska tomtom naika mamuk shim kanamokst klaska pi naika kwash
kopa S(ahali) T(aii)**.  Wik naika mamuk ukuk klaska wawa; kakwa klaska
saliks naika.
[Joseph:  They think I will do shameful things along with them but I fear
God.  I won't do what they ask; so they are angry at me.]

Shakob:  Drit sik naika tomtom kopa ukuk maika wawa: naika klatwa mamuk
styuil kopa ST pus iaka mamuk klahawiam kopa naika pi kopa naika tanas.
[Jacob:  I am very saddened by these words of yours: I will go pray to God
to have mercy on me and on my sons.]

*pli: unclear in the original, but I have seen the word /pli/ in Kamloops
Wawa.

**ST: unclear, but apparently the abbreviation meaning 'God'.

--Dave R