Yay I finally read Franchere's word list!

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Sun Aug 29 10:11:03 UTC 2004

I just felt like sharing that I finally found an online depiction of
Gabriel Franchere's list of words from between 1811 and 1814, when he
was at Astoria:

Franchère, Gabriel, 1786-1863. Bibaud, Michel, 1782-1857. "Quelques mots
de la langue Chinouque ou Tchinouke." Relation d'un voyage à la côte du
nord-ouest de l'Amérique septentrionale, dans les années 1810, 11, 12,
13 et 14.  p. 204.
[http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/cocoon/peel/81/209.html]

This is in french, but to solve any mysteries you might encounter you
can compare to the word list of Alexander Ross, who was at Astoria at
the same time as Franchere:

Ross, Alexander. "Chinook Vocabulary."  Ross's Adventures of the first
settlers on the Oregon or Columbia River, 1810-1813. Cleveland, Ohio, A.
H. Clark, 1904. 321-329. [http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-
bin/ampage?collId=lhbtn&fileName=th007/lhbtnth007.db&recNum=320&itemLink=r%3Fammem%2Flhbtnbib%3A%40field%28NUMBER%2B%40band%28lhbtn%2Bth007_0015%29%29&
linkText=0]

.... thats a crazy web address isn't it!!!! If it is all garbled you can
search for Ross's book at the American Memory website. You could also go
through my links page called "Dusty old jargon tomes from way back."
[http://timetemple.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=4]

-- Leanne (http://timetemple.com)