How to say 'Canim Lake' in English

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Sat Jul 10 00:45:40 UTC 2004

The funny irony is that because I am a native speaker of English and not
Chinook Jargon is that I cannot tell when I am pronouncing it
differently!

So here are a few place names I know and how I would pronounce them.

"Kiwa River" I pronounce KEE-wa, some probably say KAI-wa.
"Spuzzum" I pronounce SPUZ-um.
"Mesachie Lake" I pronounce Me-SATCH-ee Lake.

hmm...I'm falling short with remembering places...I think I have to find
a better map...

My general B.C. pronunciations might not have anything to do with how
the immediate locals pronounce it. An interesting thing I've noticed is
that locals are very loyal to the original pronunciations of their place
names. In Kamloops, for instance, Tranquille is "tron-KEEL." Kamloopers
can tell newcomers in an instant because they usually read
"TRANG-kwill." I've read that folks in Abbotsford are often annoyed by
the way the name of their town is pronounced by the B.C. media -- locals
say its "Abbots-ferd" not "Abbots-ford." Tete Jaune Cache residents
detect newcomers in a similar fashion. The locals say "TEE Jon Cash,"
rather that "tay jaun cash" or "tett jaun cash." Shuswap as "Shushwap,"
ie. "Shushwap Lake," etc. Monte Creek as "Monty Creek" (ie., Montée
Creek).

In that vein, sa-HAL-ee could have been the way the place was pronounced
since the day it was named, even though that seems illogical. How that
would come about I don't know but it's possible.

-- Leanne (http://timetemple.com)