2 Algonquian languages in shorthand

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Jul 10 21:34:09 UTC 2004

The reason De Volpi's (1973) comments are puzzling is that they're
inaccurate.  Morice's system wasn't based on stenography (shorthand) which
he apparently disdained.  Le Jeune's system was.

Morice's syllabics, which indeed look much like Cree / Athapaskan / Eskimo
ones that had already been successful, might've been applied to other
languages than Carrier..., but Morice's personality irritated his
superiors to an extreme, so their eventual decision to have Le Jeune
devise a different writing system for BC indigenous languages was a
foregone conclusion.

A nice by-product of the choice of shorthand instead of syllabics:
Shorthand is much easier to use in writing clusters of consonants, which
are pretty common in Chinuk (examples: TKOP white, PULAKLI night, SKIN
skin) and even more so in Salish languages (examples from Le Jeune's
Thompson shorthand: PTINOSIM thoughts, STLOSKALUX humans, SHITLKRIT day).
Very little provision was made for consonant clusters in the syllabic
writing systems, because sequences of consonants aren't so frequent in
those other languages.  This was one advantage set forth at the official
meeting that chose the shorthand over the syllabics, and while it's a real
one, I can't help suspecting it was a way of politely getting Morice out
of everyone's hair.

See David Mulhall's biography of Morice, "Will to Power" (UBC Press 1986),
a pretty good read because of the Father's outrageous behavior and sheer
intellectual brilliance.  William J. Poser's writings have touched a bit
on Morice's career as well.

--Dave R.