How to say 'Canim Lake' in English

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Jul 9 23:32:51 UTC 2004

When Bernard visited my place a few days ago, we discussed the BC town
named Canim Lake.  (Canim is Jargon for 'canoe'.)  I pronounced it ka-NIM,
as I would in Jargon, and was corrected to KAN-im.  These pronunciations
in English of Chinook words are pretty interesting.  Another favorite of
mine is sa-HAL-ee for the Kamloops neighborhood of Sahali / Sahali
Heights.  I'd say SAH-ha-lee if I hadn't heard Kamloopers talk about the
place.

Can anyone think of other Jargon names that are used in English,
pronounced in unexpected ways?  There are some Chinook words that are
spelled so English speakers will only say them one way, like Skookum and
Chuck and Potlatch.

Your examples are solicited.

--Dave R.