KIWA

Maria Pascua mcrcmaria at CENTURYTEL.NET
Mon Jul 19 23:45:04 UTC 2004

I think 'deer' is originally Nuuchahnulth as well.  I just wanted to make a
correction on the Makah pronunciation, it is bukwach.  [buk-wach] with
accent on the second syllable.
Maria Pascua

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]On Behalf
Of Henry Kammler
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 10:17 AM
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: KIWA

Leanne wrote:
>For some reason I have the impression that the word "mowitch," or deer,
>is not from the Pacific but further east. ???

What would be the reason? Phonetically, "mowitch" looks simple for a NWC
language but that's true for most CJ  words. "mowitch" probably goes back
to Nuuchahnulth /muwac^/ (Nitinat and Makah /buwac^/) and in those
languages can be analyzed as "burnt at the crotch".
Generally spoken, it would not be surprising to find the one or the other
Algonquian term in CJ but probably never as direct loans.
I'm wondering whether we find instances of "pseudo-native" loans in English
(like papoose, squaw, wigwam, calumet etc. which almost exclusively derive
from Eastern Algonquian and refer to concepts in the indigenous cultures)
mixed with CJ in any of the sources or in popular writing in order to
represent an "Indian" way of talking.

Greetings,
Henry K.

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately to
the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!