KIWA

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Wed Jul 28 21:32:41 UTC 2004

I wanted to jump into this awhile back, but was out of town and didn't have the
right notes.  The issue of whether an English spelling points to Chinuk Wawa or
another indigenous language also arises for two placenames in the central
Oregon Cascades, traditional Molala country (Molalas were hunters who lived in
small groups scattered along the slopes of the Oregon Cascades; most were
removed to Grand Ronde Res. in the mid-19th c., except for a group that went to
Klamath Res. and others that stayed or drifted back to their original home
territories).  The names are:

1. Toketee Falls (North Fork of Umpqua R.), for which MacArthur's Oregon
Geographic Names cites CW "Toke-tie, pretty" (Gibbs's spelling), a word I've
never heard anyone use and which even Gibbs says was unusual.

2. Tuckta Trail (Near Oakridge, OR).

Both of these names could also be taken as suggesting Molala tae:qti-, ta:qti-
'above, high up'.  This fits geographically, as both names are in traditional
Molala territory.  Of course, it's easy to imagine "Toketee Falls" being
named when someone fished out their English-orthography "Chinook"
dictionary--of which there were many, but almost all based more-or-less on
Gibbs.  On the other hand, the spelling doesn't quite match Gibbs's, and the
identification could have resulted from later reinterpretation.  If the name
goes way back to the pioneer period, I would think that would probably
strengthen the case for a Molala etymology.  On the other hand, if it is just
from some Forest Service map-maker, it's probably out of a dictionary.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about the history of either of these names?
Henry