David's Kamloops Wawa presentation

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Thu Mar 4 09:05:23 UTC 2004

I received my CD copy this morning, and really enjoyed it. It is a short
piece about the Kamloops Wawa and Father LeJeune. D. W. has managed to
get some first-hand anecdotes about Pere LeJeune on video, and the
presentation is very interesting.

Kamloops is an unusual city. On the south side of the Thompson river,
the modern city climbs up every mountain and over the steep valley wall.
The top is called Sahali (Developers call it Sahali Heights), and the
upper lake in the forest beyond is Lac LeJeune. On the north side of the
Thompson are the lands of the Shuswap people. On that side there are
plenty of houses and businesses, but much more grass and tumbleweeds.
The church where LeJeune preached is still down by the river on the
north side. In the evening the city is like a twinkling amphitheatre in
the valley's shadow, watching the sunset over the reserve land. What
effect that has on the psychology of both sides of the river would be
interesting to find out.

- Leanne R