Need advice on CJ standards...

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Fri Mar 19 06:54:09 UTC 2004

What's up?

I'm making a little chinook jargon word lookup tool on my website, with
a  database backend. It will be populated with entries from a few of the
old glossaries that are available on the internet (small ones in the
public domain that I have time to convert and proofread). I'd like to
correlate words with alternate spellings, so that a match for one word
will bring up all the alternate spellings in the database, as well as
the source. I won't attempt any kind of analysis of the entries, except
maybe to link to words that might be similar.

So, in order not to reinvent the wheel, I've a few questions about
possible standards that I can adhere to. :)

- Is there any of the older books which are considered here to be
relative authorities on the subject of chinook jargon?

- In the same vein, what about modern publications?

- If I decide to provide a pronunciation hint, which system should I use?

Any thoughts, rants, suggestions?

- Leanne