CJ word for "credit"

Alan Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Fri Mar 19 16:28:12 UTC 2004

> A simpler explanation now hits me, and it's surely right.  Have you ever
> heard the old-fashioned slang word in English, 'jawbone'?  I looked it up
> in Webster's 3rd New International for confirmation.  It does
> mean 'credit.'

OED s.v. jawbone:

3. Credit. N. Amer. (orig. Canadian) slang.

1862 Times 21 Oct. 9/4 Individuals who, in digger's parlance, live on
jawbone (credit). 1885 A. S. HILL From Home to Home 413 His ready money
gone, he has nothing to live on but ‘jawbone’, i.e. credit. 1941 J.
SMILEY Hash House Lingo 33 Jawbone, credit. 1970 New Yorker 31 Oct.
130/3 A young Canadian..started this film on a small grant..and
apparently finished it on jawbone and by deferring processing costs.
1971 A. P. MCINNES Dunlevy 54 No jaw-bone credit is allowed and all bets
must be matched with goods.

Dict. of Canadianisms has nothing earlier.

Alan