CJ letter from Barman

Bruce, Colin Colin.Bruce at FRASERHEALTH.CA
Thu Mar 25 23:37:27 UTC 2004

I've wondered before if there are any other words from Chinese pidgin in CJ.
I think I've seen By-n-by in some accounts of Shanghai pidgin.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Clark (FOA DALSL) [mailto:r.clark at auckland.ac.nz]
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 3:35 PM
To: 'Bruce, Colin'; CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: RE: CJ letter from Barman

This is New Westminster, a town SE of Vancouver on the Fraser River. The
Brunette River/Creek, also mentioned in the letter, flows out of Burnaby
Lake and into the Fraser just east of New Westminster.

I am interested in the occurrence of "all-the-same" in this text, a
Chinese/Pacific pidgin word. How common is this in CJ?

By the way, I tried my hand at transcribing and translating this just to see
how it would go. There were many difficulties. Would someone more expert
than I am care to post their version so we can compare notes?

Ross Clark

 Boas' collection of CJ