CJ letter from Barman

Bruce, Colin Colin.Bruce at FRASERHEALTH.CA
Fri Mar 26 06:00:44 UTC 2004

I think your right with the chaw and chaco spelling but for what it's worth
here are Boas' songs with dJa in them not dZa as I had mispelled earlier.
The first translation is "Come," then "Ha," then "Dja."  They all just felt
to my untrained eye like they were a daring interjection; something like
"hey, come on!" in english, or "Aw, come off it." Could it be because they
started similar to Chahko that Boas chose "Come!" for the first translation?
Maybe a bit of a red herring... Maybe it's a Halkomelem interjection????

4. Good-bye, barkeeper!  naika tla'towa alta okok sun.
Dja! Potlatch pâtlem cocktail naika.

4. Good-bye, barkeeper!  I am going now to-day.
Come! give me a full cocktail.

27. White man alta kopa maika man, Mary.
Dja!  Tlôs kâkoa maika mâsh naika.
kaltas kopa naika alta.
Ya aya aya

27. A white man is now your husband, Mary
Ha, cast me off thus!
I do not care now
Ya aya aya

30. Dja!  Kada maika tumtum?
Kwansum maika soleks naika.
Dja! Tlôs delê't mash naika.
I don't care alta. Ya.

30. Dja! What do you think now?
You are always cross with me.
Dja! You had better desert me altogether
I don't care now.  Ya.