siwash cosho for "seal"

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun Sep 5 05:42:46 UTC 2004

George Dawson wrote a description of the Haida people of the Queen
Charlotte Islands, BC.  I've got it in PDF form from Canadiana.org.  This
is the first place I've seen the Chinook Jargon term "siwash cosho"
actually used.  It's on page 111 in a discussion of seal hunting.  Possibly
the ultimate source for said term in many subsequent Chinook dictionaries.

--Dave R