siwash cosho for "seal"

STEPHANIE FOGEL kalapuyakwealth at MSN.COM
Mon Sep 6 03:15:45 UTC 2004

I was interested in the origin of your definition for "siwash"...using it to describe a seal, would that be "native seal?" ...because from what I've be taught was "siwash" was used to describe "native peoples" or of native origin...just interested in what you would use this word for? Or how it pertains to "seal"...

Thanks,

Stephani
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Robertson<mailto:ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU>
  To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG<mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
  Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 10:42 PM
  Subject: siwash cosho for "seal"

  George Dawson wrote a description of the Haida people of the Queen
  Charlotte Islands, BC.  I've got it in PDF form from Canadiana.org.  This
  is the first place I've seen the Chinook Jargon term "siwash cosho"
  actually used.  It's on page 111 in a discussion of seal hunting.  Possibly
  the ultimate source for said term in many subsequent Chinook dictionaries.

  --Dave R