Yay I finally read Franchere's word list!

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Sep 6 21:28:17 UTC 2004

[I thought I'd share part of an off-list note I sent to one of our list
members.  --  Dave R.]

Franchere's "Ste Kech" ("I love you") isn't what we know as standard CJ,
but it's recognizable as containing (at least) the archaic CJ form most
commonly written as <tikegh> by anglophones, phonetically
~  /tqEX/, "want/like/love".

The <s> which begins Franchere's form may be simply a typographical error;
there are others in his wordlist, since the typesetters probably didn't
speak CJ.  If this is a "typo", then maybe we're just looking at standard
CJ <tikegh>.

If it's not a "typo", maybe it's a Chinookan pronoun, though I have a
strong hunch it's not.  Though I'm no expert on Chinookan grammar, I'd
expect 2 distinct pronouns (a subject & an object) to be incorporated into
a transitive verb, and I would guess that one of those pronouns ought to
look like /n/ (compare 1st person singular /nayka/ in CJ, which comes from
Chinookan).  In fact, Boas in his "The Chinook Indian Language" which I've
just remembered is sitting next to me, says that an "I-thee" form will
contain /-yam-/ (page 584).

Another possibility to consider is that this form, also atypically for
standard CJ but perhaps indicative of an early pidgin CJ with an unstable

George Lang, who has a website through the Univ. of Alberta but who has
just become a dean at U. of Ottawa, has written a bit about early CJ as
a "pidgin Chinook[an]".  Many of Franchere's forms, as you can see, differ
significantly from those found in standard (=later) CJ, in having the
incorporated subject & object pronouns & verbal prefixes & suffixes.
Perhaps <Ste Kech> is one of these pidgin Chinookan forms.

Dave Robertson
Grad student, Department of Linguistics
University of Victoria, BC, Canada
(250) 721-4819 phone