Yay I finally read Franchere's word list!

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Wed Sep 8 19:55:28 UTC 2004

> Franchere's "Ste Kech" ("I love you") isn't what we know as standard CJ,
> but it's recognizable as containing (at least) the archaic CJ form most
> commonly written as <tikegh> by anglophones, phonetically
> ~  /tqEX/, "want/like/love".

Chinuk Wawa and Chinookan tq'iX 'want/like/love', classified in Chinookan
(Boas, Sapir, Hymes) as a particle ("particle verb" in Sapir's terminology)
(Dell and Rob, please feel free to correct/elaborate my shaky Chinookan).  Boas
thought this and many like Chinookan particles more-or-less onomatopoeic,
though it may be doubted whether Chinookans would have found a word like tq'iX
any more onomatopoeic than, say, we find "crash" or "sloppy" to be in English.
MANY of these come into Chinuk Wawa:  tL'EX, tL'ip, LEk, Lxwap, etc. etc.

In Chinookan, typically, the particle verb is uninflected, grammatical
relations being spelled out by an inflected auxiliary verb following the
particle (usually, the auxiliary -X 'make, do').  E.g.

tq'iX  a-g-ai-a-X   'she liked him' (literally, 'likes
[tense]-she-him-[directive]-does')  (I THINK I parsed that right.  Again, I
can't claim to really know these languages.  This example is from p. 24, line
26 of Boas's Chinook Texts.)

> The <s> which begins Franchere's form may be simply a typographical error;
> there are others in his wordlist, since the typesetters probably didn't
> speak CJ.  If this is a "typo", then maybe we're just looking at standard
> CJ <tikegh>.

Here I go out on the proverbial speculative limb, but could it be that that
typographic s- reflects phonetic distortion of "t" in proximity to "q'"?  One
thing to consider is that this word list does not appear in Franchere's ms.
version of his narrative.  Apparently, it was added at the insistence of the
editor (because such lists were conventional for travel narratives of the
time?).  It could have been written from Franchere's dictation to someone else;
or perhaps, Franchere himself didn't really control Chinookan phonology all
that well, and made various errors in an attempt to write "phonetically."  Or
of course, there's the typo possibility (there's some pretty obvious examples
of those elsewhere in the list).  Any other ideas?  Henry