siwash cosho for "seal"

Maria Pascua mcrcmaria at CENTURYTEL.NET
Tue Sep 21 21:44:43 UTC 2004

I don't have much more information on the word break down for
k'ash-ch'u/(u); I think it is it's own word in and of itself, but it does
have a combining form that looks like  k'ashch'uq-  when combining it with
other suffixes like k'ashch'uq w iks  eating harbor/hair seal.
Maybe the term siwash cosho was coined because of how seal blubber and pork
fat were rendered; after seal or whale blubber is rendered it can then be
smoked and eaten, probably similar to fried pork rinds.
Maria

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]On Behalf
Of Scott Tyler
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 6:32 PM
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: siwash cosho for "seal"

k'ash-ch'u  means  seal in Makah and is Makah, don't think it is a borrowed
word.
And I am not sure how the parts fit together
 ch'u can be used for things that smell bad, but I do not know if this is
correct for seal.
Maria might know how this is put together for seal.
 a wolf is  ch'u ch'u waX siL = bad breath in mouth,
Scott