Kamooks - dog

Lee Shedden lee at BRINDLEANDGLASS.COM
Fri Sep 24 05:25:40 UTC 2004

I'm not a linguist. Or a historian. Or much of anything, really. And if
my knowledge of CJ is limited, my knowledge of Native languages is ...
nonexistent.

But since first encountering the word, I always fancied — whether
rightly or wrongly I don't know — that the "ooks" in "Kamooks" was
related to the "ux" or "uxw" or "ook" or "uk" suffix  that seems to
denote "person" or "people" in many Native languages.  Like
"Nlaka'pamux" or "Inuk," or "Chinook." I like the idea: "dog-person" or
"dog-being." Granting dogs a status greater than that of mere object.

Am I way off base? Anyone?

Lee Shedden