What is "barred-L"

Ross Clark (ARTS DALSL) r.clark at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Tue Apr 19 04:41:36 UTC 2005

	-----Original Message-----
	From: The Chinook List
[mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Francisc Czobor
	Sent: Monday, 18 April 2005 11:26 p.m.
	To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
	Subject: Re: What is "barred-L"

	Dear Jordan,

	I have to confess that actually I never heard pronounced the
Welsh "ll" or the Tibetan "lh".
	But the description "voiceless lateral fricative" suggests
indeed a hissing sound as you describe, and that was also my image of
how to articulate it, but such a hissing sound I would never
transliterate as "tl" or "kl", that was my problem.
	But you're right, if I try to pronounce the word "seaL", the
last sound is almost like a "tl".
	The "barred-L" is indeed difficult to approximate using only the
Roman letters. I've seen in Kerr's "Vocabulary of the Language of
Nootka, or King George's Sound" (1778) this sound rendered through
combinations of up to 6 letters! (lszthl)

	Francisc

	A trivial point, but I found myself scratching my head wondering
who "Kerr" was who collected a Nootka vocabulary.
	Turns out that he was just an anthologist who published "A
General History and Collection of Voyages and Travels..etc etc" in
multiple volumes in the early 19th century.
	The vocabulary in question is just a reprint of the one that
appears as an appendix in the published account of Cook's third voyage
(1785).
	But I found to my surprise and delight that both Kerr
	http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15425

http://www.canadiana.org/ECO/ItemRecord/47810?id=96b88def14c0c3ec
	and Cook
	http://www.kb.dk/elib/bhs/cook/contents.htm
	http://gdz-srv3.sub.uni-goettingen.de/cache/toc/D135290.html
	are available in full (in two different places!) on the amazing
www. (At least this works from my nice academic computer here.)

	Ross Clark