half-words

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 20 10:58:53 UTC 2005

Hayash mersi, Dave, pus mayka kilapay wawa !
Thank you very much, Dave, for your answer !
You understood exactly what I wanted to say in my message written very hastily.
Indeed, I meant that these odd non-reduplicated forms, like hool, kulla, or cik, could be just a creation of non-Native lexicographers, since I've found them in single sources.
Regarding  true reduplication found rather in creoles than pidgins: I have noticed that in Jacobs' Texts this true reduplication appears quite frequently in the texts from V. Howard, only once in those from J. Hudson and not at all in the other texts (*NOTE* below). Is this due to the fact that V. Howard spoke a "more creolized" Jargon? Or rather her Chinookan background (where such reduplication is usual) influenced also her use of the Jargon?

Francisc

*NOTE*
These are the examples that I found in Jacobs' "Texts in chinook Jargon":
Victoria Howard "Just one his leg, just one his arm":
- yamunk-k'auk'au "she tied"
- yamunk-k'ilabaik'ilabai "he turned her over and over"
- Las lulu lulu shdik lagum "they collected pitchwood"
- Las mashmash gigwli "they hurled it down"
Victoria Howard "A dangerous being kills two women"
- wik hayu nanitsh ayaq ayaq "do not be looking so much"
- Las-mun-k'auk'au "they had (both) tied (themselves)"
- wik-ya hayu-guriguri "she is not running around"
- k'auk'au "wrapped up"
- Las-nantshnantsh "they examinated"
- Lasga-nantshnantsh "they searched"
Victoria Howard "A stingy girl is taken away by mountain people"
- yaga-hai-mank-LushLush "[she] was straightening things"
- dunusdunus "small ones" (occurs three times)
- hayashhayash "large ones" (also occurs three times)
- qa-bus-yamunk-qwEtLqwEtL "where to hang it (to dry)"
- Lasmun-k'auk'au dunusdunus kanawi ikda "they wrapped up a little of everything"
- yakilaikilai "[he] cried and cried"
Victoria Howard "A girl's game"
- Lasmunk-k'witk'wit
- Lasmunk-k'auk'au
John Hudson "The origin of death"
- Lasga-miLait ixt-ixt-Lasga-haus "[they] lived in adjacent houses"

http://mail.yahoo.com