half-words

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Thu Apr 21 20:36:16 UTC 2005

> Regarding  true reduplication found rather in creoles than pidgins: I have
> noticed that in Jacobs' Texts this true reduplication appears quite
> frequently in the texts from V. Howard, only once in those from J. Hudson and
> not at all in the other texts (*NOTE* below). Is this due to the fact that V.
> Howard spoke a "more creolized" Jargon? Or rather her Chinookan background
> (where such reduplication is usual) influenced also her use of the Jargon?

In Jacobs's fieldnotes from J. Hudson, Grand Ronde 1928 (in the Jacobs
Collection, U of Washington Libraries), there is a rather long list of Jargon
words and sentences (this may actually have been Jacobs's very first session of
field recording from Hudson, though I can't remember for sure; I did have the
impression that Jacobs was using Jargon to "warm up" before getting down to his
really serious business--recording Santiam Kalapuya).  These include three
examples of reduplicated forms (all with 1st-syllable stress):

(mank-)Chip-Chip 'to wink' [C = "ch", h = aspiration; cf. CxEp, Cip 'extinguish,
snuff out').

ayaq-ayaq   'bustling, in a hurry' (cf. ayaq 'fast, quickly')

(mank-)yix-yix 'fool with' (cf. yix 'tipsy, off-base, disoriented')

Dave's list of reduplicated forms is I assume from our draft dictionary (for the
Grand Ronde tribal language program).  This includes all of Jacobs's examples
from Victoria Howard plus a good many more from other speakers.  So, this
really is a Grand Ronde trait, along with short-form pronouns (which Hudson
also uses, albeit, like his reduplicated forms, not very much).  The much
anticipated (by some) new edition of the dictionary will have many more
examples than the current, and all examples will be referenced to
speaker--making future discussions of this and other features hopefully more
"productive."  Henry Z.