Poster in Chinuk Wawa on Orcas Island

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Aug 20 22:15:02 UTC 2005

While visiting a mall in Eastsound, Orcas Island, Washington (in the San
Juans) a few days ago, I noticed the following on a poster about the Deer
Harbor community's plans for the future.  It was written in what looked
like the Fontootseed font, intended to be used for writing Lushootseed
Salish.  The postermaker seems to have intended capital letters wherever
you see ejectives and other nonstandard characters; some old anglophone
Chinook dictionary must have been the reference.  Here my E = schwa, S = s-
wedge, and all spellings are as found on the poster.  Maybe you'll enjoy
trying to translate this.

k'wahnEsum

mahsiE mahsiE Samish t'illikum Samish t'amanhous
nEsika tumtum kwann lE molo kwann
illahEE hEEhEE k'onaway shantiE
mahsiE mahsiE mahsiE

Incidentally, there seem to be competing stories as to who the original
inhabitants or owners of Orcas Island were.  About half the public signs,
pamphlets, etc. that I saw assign Orcas to the Lummi people, and half to
the Samish.  The modern politics of Indian tribal recognition play a role
here.  I get the impression that certain entities on Orcas collaborate with
the former tribe, other groups with the latter.

--Dave R.