Lewis and Clark - CW

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Sun Aug 21 21:06:27 UTC 2005

The following text from one of John Clark's journals is taken from
Project Gutenberg. I have edited a few parts out for brevity. Clark
mentions that the people he meet "speak the same language" as those met
previously. He also mentions a word -- "Timm" -- for waterfall. The
_Journals of Lewis and Clark Online_ note that "The Chiookan [sic] term
tm'm is an onomatopoeic particle, derived from the Chinook jargon,
meaning '(river) falls'" The editors also add that the people from the
"Eight Lodges" are the Methows, who "spoke a Salishan language, not the
Shahaptian of the people upstream," and that the "Conocil mountain" is
Mount Hood.

"October 21st Monday 1805 … Eight Lodges of nativs opposit its Lower
point on the Stard. Side, we came too at those lodges, bought some wood
and brackfast. Those people recived us with great kindness, and examined
us with much attention, their employments custom Dress and appearance
Similar to those above; Speak the Same language … we got from those
people a fiew pounded rotes fish and Acorns of the white oake, those
Acorns they make use of as food, and inform us they precure them of the
nativs who live near the falls below which place they all discribe by
the term Timm at 2 miles lower passed a rapid, large rocks Stringing
into the river of large Size opposit to this rapid on the Stard. Shore
is Situated two Lodges of the nativs drying fish here we halted a fiew
minits to examine the rapid before we entered it … the Conocil mountain
is S. W. which the Indians inform me is not far to the left of the great
falls; this I call the Timm or falls mountain it is high and the top is
covered with Snow … proceeded on about two miles lower and landed and
encamped near five Lodges of nativs, drying fish those are the relations
of those at the Great falls, they are pore and have but little wood
which they bring up the river from the falls as they Say, we purchased a
little wood to cook our Dog meat and fish; those people did not recive
us at first with the same cordiality of those above, they appeare to be
the Same nation Speak the Same language with a little curruption of
maney words Dress and fish in the Same way … "

- Leanne